Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

X-men: First class






Prequels. Everybody who knows me will call me a hypocrite after this, but I'm not going to lie 100%, just a little bit.

I hate prequels, not all prequels but most of them

You sit there and look at these pictures of stuff you already know, because they discussed all of this in the earlier movies.

A perfect example is Terminator: salvation. For three movies we were told about the war between man and machine and how the machines were losing so they sent a terminator back in time to kill the human leader before he was even born. He, the leader,finds out about this and sends back the man who will become his father to stop this terminator. Very confusing but they spend a considerable amount of time to explain this in the first three movies.

We know exactly how the war went and we know how it began and how it ended, so why make a movie about it? Many will argue that the same can be said about the star wars prequels and they are right...but it's Fucking star wars man,even if I wish the second one wasn't.

So here I sit and talk about things totally unrelated to First class
Let's discuss why I don't like that one instead.

Unlike many prequels First class actually tells us a story we haven't heard before, and it does so with great effort. Top notch actors, a great retro feel and spectacular action scenes. Still, there is something not right about all this. A lot of details doesn't make sense. Like the fact that Mystique and Xavier are surrogate siblings.

Now, keep in mind that I have not read the comics
I am basing my knowledge solely on the movies and there this doesn't make sense.

And all these other mutants that are in this movie, they are never mentioned in the original trilogy, so it's easy to assume that they will die quite soon.


The movie, as a standalone piece, is great. A great piece of action cinema, but as a part of the cinematic X-men universe it is very derivative. It is setting up a bunch of plots that we already know the end to, and it gives us characters we can't get attached to because we know they will be disposed of. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but that is why I don't like prequels, when if they are very good


No comments:

Post a Comment